Coco Gauff Issues Statement After Citi Open: "so if they needed me to jump in I was ready"




American tennis sensation Coco Gauff was ready to come to the rescue to save an ill fan at the Citi Open on Friday.


The 19-year-old was mid way through her quarterfinal clash against Switzerland's Belinda Bencic when a spectator in the stadium required urgent medical attention. The game was briefly halted after fans alerted nearby officials to an incident in the stands. 


With both players stopping play, paramedics were able to provide assistance which saw play resumed. Following the incident, and after securing a win that saw her into the semifinals, Gauff claimed the she was ready to jump in and assist if needed, having recently completed a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course. 


At first I was just making sure that it wasn't something cardiac," Gauff said. "I just took a CPR class, so if they needed me to jump in I was ready. I have my certification. Coco Gauff on the fan that fell ill during her match against Bencic: 


“I just took a CPR class so if they needed me to jump in I was ready "I did ask the ref if it was cardiac. I'm sure there are more professional people out here, but she said it wasn't cardiac so that's when I realized the person will probably be OK.


"But yeah, everybody in the stadium should take the class. It took 90 minutes. I booked it on the flight from Wimbledon, it's really informative."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You've made it to the Hood": Patrick Mahomes congratulates Travis Kelce on proposing to pregnant girlfriend Kayla Nicole

Here are 15 pictures of Serena Williams that will dazzle you

Celebrating 44 years of marriage, Andy Reid shared joyous news with his wife Tammy while on a night date